- Date of Consecration
- 1869 - 09 - 19
- Nuwara Eliya Archdeaconry
- Ven. Christopher Balraj (The Archdeacon of Nuwara Eliya)
According to records, St. Andrew’s Church, Haputale was opened for worship on Sunday 19 of September 1869 and now functions as the sister Church of the Church of the Ascension, Bandarawela.
The founder priest of the Church of the Ascension was late Rev. W.J.P Waltham, who served as the Vicar from 1909-1932. This Church had a sizeable English congregation when Sri Lanka was under British rule. Many European planters from the district were regular worshippers in Church, while the European garrison attended St. James’ Church in Diyatalawa. Services were conducted in English and Tamil when Tamil priests were appointed subsequently. The late Archbishop Rt. Rev. Rollo-Graham Campbell often visited these Churches.
- Postal Address
- St. Andrew's Church, Haputale
- 0572 222 294