- Date of Consecration
- 1909 - 09 - 29
- Nuwara Eliya Archdeaconry
- Revd. Joel Jackson
- Assistant Curate
- Revd. Prasanga Thushan Kumarasinghe
The idea of building a Church in Bandarawela was mooted by Rt. Rev. R.S. Copleston, fifth Bishop of Colombo. The Rev. W.J.P. Waltham (1855-1938) who was the Vicar of St. Mark’s Church, Badulla from 1901, used to conduct Holy Communion services in the court house of Bandarawela, until 1907. He bought a two and a half acre block of land from the Government and built “Walthamstove” bungalow at his own expense. He set apart two rooms for a temporary church dedicated in 1907. In August 1908, the foundation of the Church was laid and the building was constructed by M/S Walker and Greig. Due to a lack of funds, only a part of the Church was constructed and consecrated on 29 September 1909, on the Feast of St. Michael and All Angels, by the fifth Bishop of Colombo, Rt. Rev. Copleston.
Rev. Waltham continued to reside in Badulla, but he conducted a service once a month in Bandarawela. Gifts of altar requisites, furniture and other necessary items were made and by 1911, the sanctuary was extended and a small vestry built. In 1931, the nave was further extended by 32 ft towards the east end. In 1936, the sanctuary and vestry were consecrated with a new altar.
On 6 January 1938, Bishop Mark Carpenter-Garnier consecrated the Lady Chapel of the Blessed Virgin Mary, a gift from Mr. Denzil Peiris, in memory of his father, Henry Joseph Peiris.
In 1952, the “Waltham Tower” was built in memory of “The Great Apostle of Uva”, Rev. W.J.P Waltham.
- Postal Address
- Church of the Ascension, Bandarawela
- 0572 222 294