- Date of Consecration
- 1926 - 07 - 01
- Nuwara Eliya Archdeaconry
- Revd. P. Thayalan
Built in 1926, this Church is situated 26 miles from Badulla. This Church was built for the benefit of Christians living in that area which extends as far as Bibile.
This Church was built by Rev. W.J.P. Waltham. He also built the Church of the Ascension in Bandarawela in 1909.
Before this church was built services were held regularly in the Rest House in Lunugala. On 20 January 1907 Bishop E.A. Copleston held a confirmation service in the Resthouse. The Rev. W.J.P Waltham presented three candidates.
The church was built by the effort of some of the interested planters and local officials and consecrated on 1 July 1926 by Bishop Mark Carpenter Garnier. The clergy present on that occasion were: Revs C.S. Green, the Bishop’s Chaplain R.D.T. Lowe, Vicar W.J.P. Waltham, and J Noah. After the service at a party at the Resthouse organized by Messrs. A.E. Ogilvy, T.G. Sim and Greig, the Bishop met the members of the congregation.
- Postal Address
- St. Peter's Church, Lunugala
- 0552 288 380