- Date of Dedication
- 1949 - 05 - 10
- Nuwara Eliya Archdeaconry
- Revd. P. Thayalan
Before the church was built services were held in the Passara Gun Club. Almost everyone present at these times invariably attended the services.
The church is built on the old Resthouse site. It was purchased by the Rev. Geo H. Gomes, who established a Sinhalese school there. This had to be closed down after a few years.
The moving spirits behind the building and the completion of the church was the late Mr. A.H. Hall and Mr. G. Kent Deaker. They received every encouragement from Bishop Horsley who, hoped that it would not in any way detract from the support given to St. Mark’s.
The corner stone was laid by the Bishop’s Commissary, the Ven. the Archdeacon of Colombo, A.J. Kendall Baker on 24 August 1948. The clergy present were: The Revs Felix A Dias Abeysinghe, Vicar, T.B. Daniel, Incumbent Uva Tamil pastorate, C.M. Thomas, Vicar of Bandarawela and H.L. Fernando and C. Ferdinands of the Methodist Church.
On completion of the building the church was dedicated on 10 May 1949 by Bishop Graham Campbell. There was present a large number of both the English and Tamil congregations.
- Postal Address
- St. Barnabas Church, Passara
- 0552 288 380