- Date of Consecration
- 1887 - 06 - 13
- Nuwara Eliya Archdeaconry
- Revd. Charles David
With the introduction of the coffee plantations by the British in the eighteen twenties, Christianity came to the hills. The superintendents of the estates felt that they needed a common place to worship and spread the Gospel among workers. So they arranged prayer meetings and services in the coffee stores, schools and centrally situated bungalows. The Tamil Cooley Mission (TCM) worked actively in the plantation areas during this period and the chaplains visited the plantations periodically.
With the expansion of plantations came the development of roads and means of communication. Prior to this the chaplains faced untold difficulties and hardships in their work. Their determination and zeal was not unrewarded. Converts to the faith multiplied and the need for central places of worship grew. Churches were built in places such as Lindula and Dickoya in and around 1870.
With the opening of new plantations in Ragala and Uda Pussellawa and the growth of a strong Christian community the need for a place of worship was solely felt. In response to this need for a place of worship Mr. G.A. Dick gave a block of land and shouldered the responsibility of building this Church. According to the records it is said that a Kangarny contributed Rs 100 and an estate medical assistant contributed Rs 60 towards the construction of the building. This Church was consecrated on 13 June, 1887. This Church was built when the country was facing a great financial crisis and unemployment was common due to the failure of the coffee industry from which it never recovered. Many Churches were forced to close down due to the lack of funds.
But with the introduction of the tea industry, a new prosperity emerged and the Church was able to plunge into ventures. The Gospel was taken to the workers and estate staff who formed the congregation of the Church.
Christian schools were started on the estates. Some of the schools built were on Delmar; Ragala Alanwick; Tullos; Allagalla; Bramly and Gordon.
- Postal Address
- Christ Church, Ragala, Halgranoya.
- 0522 265 510