- Date of Dedication
- 1962 - 06 - 03
- Colombo Archdeaconry
- Revd. Cyril Roche
The first Holy Trinity Church situated at San Sebastian Hill was consecrated by Bishop Chapman in 1847 and regulated by Episcopal Ordnance of 26 November 1846. It catered mainly to the business and civil service personnel amongst whom the Burgher community was preponderant. With rapid commercialization of this area, residents moved away and the congregation which supported the church dwindled, until the Church became functus.* The Church then stepped in and acquired the abandoned Church premises for a school.
Around 1947/48, Bishop A Rollo-Graham Campbell began negotiations with the Roman-Catholic Archbishop for purchase of our present premises, as the Church was becoming too small for its burgeoning Catholic congregation. On successful completion of negotiations Bishop- Graham Campbell obtained District Court approval to pay the Roman-Catholic Archbishop Rs 150,000/= for the entire Church premises including buildings. The balance Rs 250,000 was transferred into an endowment fund in favour of Holy Trinity Church.
Initially, the Church came under the wings of the Vicar of St Paul’s, Milagiriya. The assistant Curate Rev. Ted Bartholemeuz functioned as the officiating priest. In June it was consecrated by Bishop Cyril Abeynaike as Holy Trinity Church and administered jointly by representatives from both Churches functioning as Trustees under the direction of the Vicar of St. Paul’s, Milagiriya. At the inaugural service there were 106 communicants and at the Christmas service that year, the congregation numbered around 250. Once again it was the Burgher community that was predominant, and over the years it was they who contributed largely to Holy Trinity Church acquiring the reputation of “ a homely family Church” because of their innate disposition to make friends and fellowship with sincerity and spontaneity.
The Rev. Ted Bartholemeuz was succeeded by Rev. T.B Daniel* as Assistant curate under Canon Mutukisna-Vicar of St. Paul’s. This pair lost no time in energizing the parish and before long there was an active parochial council, Ladies League, A Chair, A servers Guild and a Sunday School functioning. In 1968, the congregation became further emboldened and prevailed upon the Bishop to grant the Church independent parish status, which request was granted with Rev. T.B Daniel being appointed the first resident Incumbent. He was assisted by parishioners holding office as Trustees.
- Postal Address
- Holy Trinity Church, Colombo 6, Sri Lanka.
- 0112 58 77 25