- Date of Consecration
- 1860 - 12 - 27
- Galle Archdeaconry
- Revd. Malinda De Mel
The history of the Anglican Church in Moratuwa dates from 1799. At the site of the present General Cemetery behind Holy Emmanuel Church, stood an old Dutch building for 140 years since 1675.
In addition, to being used as a school, divine services were held in the building from 1799 until it was demolished in 1815 to be replaced by the first Anglican Church built in Moratuwa at the expense of the Government and the congregation.
This Church was built under the patronage of Governor Sir Robert Brownrigg, who contributed his share towards the construction of the Church. A significant feature of the Anglican Church in Moratuwa was that from the very inception divine services and all other Church activities were conducted in Sinhala.
On 4 January 1857, gate Mudliyar Jeronis De Soysa appealed to the Bishop of Colombo, James Chapman, to seek the Governor’s sanction for demolishing the old Church known as “Brownrigg Palliya”, for the construction of a new edifice on the allotment of land one and a half acres in extent adjoin the then cemetery and to set apart such land and building as a gift in perpetuity to the Church of England. The only condition that was attached to this most liberal and praiseworthy proposal was the use of materials of the existing building. He himself would provide a temporary structure for divine worship until the completion of the new Church.
Jeronis De Soysa’s application was recommended by the Bishop and the Governor Sir. Henry Ward by his letter dated 31 January 1857, addressed to the Bishop, conveyed his sanction for the above proposal.
On 27 December 1857, Bishop James Chapman laid the cornerstone of Holy Emmanuel Church, which when completed cost over sterling pounds 5338-5s (Rs. 80,000). The funds for this edifice were contributed mainly by Jeronis De Soysa and his brother Susew De Soysa. By Deed No. 11956 dated 18 December 1860, Gate Mudliyar Jeronis De Soysa gave over to Dr. James Chapman, the first Bishop of Colombo, the land and the Church built thereon.
On 27 December 1860, Holy Emmanuel Church was consecrated by Bishop Chapman. The Governor and Lady McCarthy together with a number of Europeans assembled in the Church before the consecration. The Church was filled with the most distinguished congregation from the immediate vicinity. At 2.00p.m. The Bishop attended by his clergy and choristers from the Cathedral walked in solemn procession from the Galle Road to the Church. The service was conducted both in English and in Sinhala and the sermon was delivered by the Rev. S.W Dias in Sinhala. The Cathedral Choir without the aid of any musical instrument was in attendance. Soon after the Bishop had taken his seat, the service commenced at the instance of the Rev. Cornelius Senanayake. The consecration of Holy Emmanuel Church was conducted by the Bishop, assisted by the Rev. Cornelius Senanayake, B. Bailey, J. De Silva, F. De Mel, Abraham Mendis and the Rev. S.W. Dias who also assisted in the Service which was conducted in Sinhala.
At the conclusion of the service, His Excellency and Lady McCarthy along with the other dignitaries present on the occasion were received by Mr. and Mrs. Jeronis De Soysa at their residence. The proceedings closed with a presentation of an address to the worthy founder by the residents of Moratuwa.
|Rev. Abraham Mendis||1861||1883|
|Rt. Rev. E. A. Copleston||1883||1889|
|Rev. Johannes De Silva||1889||1907|
|Canon Jacob Mendis||1908||1940|
|Ven. C. H. W. De Soysa||1941||1948|
|Rev. B. M. Wickramanayaka||1949||1956|
|Rev. F. R. E. Mendis||1957||1958|
|Rev. E. G. Misso||1959||1963|
|Rev. Alik Dias Abeysinghe||1964||1965|
|Rev. N. D. Amaratunga||1966||1970|
|Rev. Bernard J. Perera||1971||1976|
|Rev. Roger A. Herfth||1977||1978|
|Rev. Edison T. L. Mendis||1979||1982|
|Rev. Lakshman S. Peiris||1983||1986|
|Rev. Lloyd Weerasuriya||1987||1990|
|Rev. Devapriya De Silva||1991||1994|
|Rev. Lenin John Marshall||1995||1997|
|Rev. Melvin O. De Silva||1998||2002|
|Rev. Sunil Ferdinando||2003||2006|
|Rev. Nilanga Gunasekara||2007||2010|
|Rev. Keerthisiri Fernando||2011||to date|
- Postal Address
- Holy Emmanuel Church Holy Emmanuel Church Rd Moratuwa., Sri Lanka.
- 0112 645 447