- Date of Consecration
- 1843 - 02 - 16
- Galle Archdeaconry
- Revd. Maxwell Doss
According to the historian Valentyn, the earliest reference to a church in Galkissa is in 1705 when there was a pretty good church, roofed with tiles and built upon 10 masonry and 20 stone pillars, taken from the heathen temple of Pepiliyana with a wall of clay three and a half feet high.
At the time the British arrived in Sri Lanka, in 1803, there was a Church in Galkissa. It was roofless and according to the historian Valentyn, a Church had been built by the Dutch in 1705 in Galkissa, and this was most probably that Church. Due to the proximity of the Church to the Governor’s country residence at Mount Lavinia, Sir Robert Brownrigg took a personal interest in its restoration, which commenced around 1820, meeting much of the cost out of his private purse. Evidently the Governor frequently attended Sunday worship in this Church.
This Church was used for many years prior to its formal consecration. Till 1833 the only resident minister at Christ Church was a “proponent.” This was a clerical functionary peculiar to the Church of Holand, performing duties intermediate between those of a Catechist and a Deacon of the Church of England, under the Archdeacon.
In 1833, Canon S W Dias was the first regular Minister. In addition, to Christ Church, Galkissa, he was in charge of the parishes of Moratuwa and Koralawella.
The Church was consecrated by the Rt. Rev. Trevor Spencer, Bishop of Madras, on 16 February 1843.
Canon S.W Dias was succeeded in 1852 by the Rev. James Thurstan, who was also in Charge of Milagiriya, Polwatte and Thimbirigasyaya. In 1889, the Rev. Dr. G.B Ekanayake was appointed visiting priest of Christ Church and it was during his tenure of office that the Deacon who was permanently attached to Christ Church Galkissa, the rev. Mathias De Silva was ordained a priest and Christ Church had its first full time pastor. In 1916, the Rev. Francis Mendis was appointed full time pastor. It was during his tenure of office that the Church became a self supporting parish and the old Vicarage was built.
The Rev. F.R.E Mendis was appointed Vicar in 1946. It was during his time that major structural changes were made to the Church. The sanctuary on the East Side of the Church ws moved to the West, and the entrance moved to the East and a porch was added, literally making it possible for anyone to step into the Church from the Galle Road. Two side Chapels were also added, to serve the expanding congregation.
With the main entrance from Galle Road, when the Rev. Felix Dias Abeysinghe was Vicar, the main door of the Church was opened, never to be closed again on 6 June 1959, and Christ Church, Galkissa became the “Church of the open door.”
|Canon S William Dias Bandarankayke||1833||1852|
|Rev. James Thurstan||1852||1858|
|Rev. Cornelius Senanayake||1861||1886|
|Rev. Fredrick William Daundaskekera||1916||1929|
|Rev. James Gregory Newsam Seneeviratne||1930||1935|
|Rev. Reginald Vincent Becket De Silva||1935||1940|
|Rev. Neville Walter Fernando||1940||1946|
|Rev. Francis Reginald Ernest Mendis||1946||1957|
|Rev. Felix Abraham Dias Abeysinghe||1957||1965|
|Rev. George Chrles Gallaway Jirasinghe||1965||1974|
|Red. Edison Tertius Lancelot Mendis||1975||1979|
|Rev. Gerald De Alwis||1980||1983|
|Rev. Henry Douglas Pereira||1984||1987|
|Rev. Chrisantha B. Mendis||1988||1997|
|Rev. Melvin de Silva||1992||1997|
|Rev. Devapriya de Silva||1998||2001|
|Rev. John Isaiah||2002||2004|
|Rev. Perry Brohier||2005||2010|
|Rev. Samuel J. Ponniah||2011||to date|
- Postal Address
- Christ Church, Galkissa (Dehiwala), No. 82, Galle Road, Dehiwela, Sri Lanka
- Telephone & Fax