- Date of Consecration
- 1854 - 09 -21
- Galle Archdeaconry
- Rev. Amal Fernando
The Chapel of the Transfiguration, S. Thomas' College, Mount Lavinia was built due to the efforts of the Revd G M Withers, Sub Warden of the School, who raised funds from old boys and benefactors, even going around the island on his motorcycle and visiting them in their homes to solicit funds. The Chapel was consecrated on the 13th of February 1927 by Bishop M R Carpenter-Garnier and named for the Transfiguration of Jesus.
The architecture of the Chapel is Byzantine, a departure from the normal Gothic that was in vogue at that time and this reflected the dominance of the Anglo-Catholic school that valued the influence of Eastern Orthodoxy. It is set on the highest point of the campus to symbolise the centrality of faith to the education offered by the school. The Chapel is valued by adherents of all faiths in the College and over the years, as and when financial support was necessary a number of non Christians have contributed towards the cause.
The liturgical worship style of the Chapel is decidedly Anglo-Catholic and is supported by a world famous all boys choir that maintains a high standard of Anglican choral music and is affiliated to the Royal School of Church Music in the UK. The magnificent and awe inspiring mural of the Transfiguration by David Paynter was completed in 1968 to celebrate the Golden Jubillee of the College moving from Mutwal to Mount Lavinia. Daily morning services of prayer and a sung Eucharist on Sundays during school term as well as special liturgical events such as the Feast of the Transfiguration on the 6th of August and the well known Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols in December are the main acts of worship during the year.
- Postal Address
- Chapel of the Transfiguration, St.Thomas College, Mount Lavinia, Sri Lanka
- 0115 - 746 390